BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Joy of Writing

Yesterday I came home from Camp Swampy and found a box on my doorstep. That’s not unusual. JP and I do a lot of online shopping and my ARCs arrive by mail.

But this box engendered a lot of excitement. It was filled with books. There was no waiting to get it in the house. I had to open it right then and there. JP’s little knife came out, I lifted the flaps and there they were. Hot off the presses brand new copies of “A Cup of Comfort for Cat Lovers,” and each one containing my short story “The Power of the Purr.”

I went right to page 70 and read the story; then flipped to the back to read my bio. Let me tell you there is nothing like seeing your name in print. I wanted to knock on every door in the neighborhood and yell - Hey that’s me! It’s a high like no other. I felt enormous pride that others liked my baby enough to publish it.

I hadn’t let anyone read the story, preferring to wait until the book was released. Now I gave JP a copy and waited for judgment. He liked it, even seemed a little surprised – like it was way better than he expected. I’m not sure I like that, but you can’t complain about a good review.

Today I gave a copy to a co-worker and waited for a less biased opinion. She loved it, said it made her laugh and then cry. You can’t ask for more than that.

Every writer’s goal is to entertain, inspire and stir the emotions. That’s the best compensation ever.

Enter the contest on my website – win a copy of the book.
http://mysite.verizon.net/bookworm.gp/

0 comments: